Yesterday I shared my over all review of the McCalls 6696 pattern and today I am talking about my first version. I made it out of a flat king sized bed sheet (very Sound of Music) to test the fit but, luckily, it turned out pretty wearable!
Fabric: Vintage Bedsheet from Goodwill
Notions: Yellow Flower Buttons from JoAnn’s
Size made: 16
Alterations to the pattern:
I removed two inches from the center of the back bodice piece. I didn’t like the gathers and blousy-ness in the original pattern. Removing two inches got rid of the gathers at the top of the back bodice, but left a few gathers at the base.
Changes for next time:
This version was a lot larger than I thought it would be! There is a ton of ease in this pattern. For my next version I will definitely take in the bodice. I also want to take the shoulders up a bit. The whole bodice is hanging lower than I would like. I commonly have to remove from the shoulders in ready to wear garments, so this is nothing new!
Stay tuned later this week for versions 2&3 that I’ve already made!