When e-readers first came out I was among their loudest critics. How could they possibly simulate holding a book? Wouldn’t reading on a device take away the essential “readingness” of the experience?
During my freshman year at Kenyon, a student was selling a brand new kindle for about half-price; I took this as a sign that I needed to try it out before I ridiculed ebooks any more. Color me surprised when I ended up loving it!
Though it doesn’t exactly replicate reading a physical book, e-readers are surprisingly lovely to read on. I have a definite preference for the kindle because of its e-ink/non-backlit design; to me it is a lot more like reading a paperback.
Which brings me to the title of this post. Earlier this week I reached into my backpack to read an ebook between classes, only to find my kindle screen hopelessly broken. After calling Amazon and confirming that it was indeed beyond repair I set up my pity party, complete with a trip to the library to check out books to fill the void. While I am being a bit over dramatic, the truth is I already miss my kindle dearly and I might just have to bite the bullet for a new one.
Know where I can get one gently used?
As my first semester of graduate school winds down, I’ve found myself enjoying the little things…
1. A gift package from Books of Wonder for donating to their fundraising campaign.
2. Lunch in the UNC cafeteria.
3. Sunrise at the Orange County Public Library.
4. A little refreshment while at work.
5. Hot apple cider and a youtube catchup (featuring essiebutton).
6. A little Gloria Steinem while waiting for the bus!
7. New Christmas decorations from Target.
8. A peaceful bus ride back from campus.
9. Study snack + candle time.
More posts like this:
Books of Wonder
Week in Review
1. Judging Books By Their Covers: US vs UK : This post had me at its title alone, but it gets so much better than that! Analyzing the differences between bestselling books across the pond, the article reveals how much a book’s cover affects the buyer’s perception!
2. Josh Groban Sings Kanye West Tweets : I linked the article because it was where I found the video below–but seriously
the video is the main attraction. How cute is he?
3. Twilight is Now Require Reading for a College Level Honors English Class : How did this happen? When did this
happen? Can we all agree this shouldn’t have happened?
4. Kindle e-books Will Add Page Numbers : Okay, so this is more of a news story. But I’m over-the-moon
that now I can buy books for class on my kindle and actually be able to find where the class is looking
5. Literature’s Gender Gap: I find it fascinating how few men will read female authors– do you
find this odd?
BONUS LINK THIS WEEK!
6. Mattel Launches Digital Campaign Aiming to Reunite Barbie & Ken : Just how far will companies go to gain attention?
First Mattel broke them up over the internet, now they’re getting back together?! Give it a rest.
Posting from London,